Table of Contents
There are plenty of ways to get to Lonar Lake. One of the routes passes through the Jalna district. Most of the tourists reach Lonar by this route. The approximate distance from Jalna to Lonar Lake is 90 km. It may take you about 1.5 to 2 hours to reach Lonar from Jalna.
From Jalna, you can reach Lonar via State Transport Bus or any private vehicle via Sindkhed Raja-Dusarbeed-Sultanpur. Sultanpur is the nearest village to Lonar for tourists from Mehkar or Jalna where you can have meals and snacks.
From Sultanpur, you can get a choice of 3 or 6 seater auto rickshaw or private car to get to Lonar. It will take you about 15 to 20 minutes to cover the distance of about 12 km from Sultanpur to Lonar. Also from here, you can get a vehicle for a return journey to Jalna or Aurangabad.
Where is Lonar Lake India?
Lonar is a world-famous lake located in Buldhana district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. The Samruddhi Highway passes through the nearby Jalna district from Lonar. The Samruddhi Highway has made it much easier for tourists to come here.
How to reach Lonar Lake from Buldana
There are different routes from Buldhana to Lonar. We will learn about the easiest and closest way.
By Road: The distance from Buldhana to Lonar via Chikhali, Mehkar, Sultanpur is about 100 km. It may take you about 2 hours to get here.
By Train: There is no train service from Buldhana to Lonar.
How to reach Lonar Lake from Aurangabad
By Road: It takes about 3.5 to 4 hours to reach Lonar from Aurangabad. To reach Lonar, you don’t have to take a bus from Aurangabad City Bus Stand. For this, you can get a State Transport Bus from the CIDCO bus stand which is a separate part of Aurangabad. Also, a direct vehicle from Aurangabad to Lonar is not possible. Following are the two options available to you.
- You can get a lot of vehicles from Aurangabad to Jalna. It will take you about 1 to 1.5 hours to cover the distance of 60 km from Aurangabad to Jalna. Then you can change bus or vehicle to head towards Lonar. In addition, you can have a good meal or breakfast at Jalna.
- According to the second option, you can get direct bus from Aurangabad to Sultanpur! For this you can catch a bus from Aurangabad to Amravati or from Aurangabad to Nagpur (via Mehkar). The distance from Aurangabad to Sultanpur is about 140 kilometers. And it can take you about 3 hours to get there. You can also take a private auto rickshaw from Sultanpur to Lonar.
By Train: There is no direct train from Aurangabad to Lonar, But you can go by train from Aurangabad to Jalna. It takes about 1 hour by train from Aurangabad to Jalna. There are plenty of trains available from Aurangabad to Jalna.
How to reach Lonar Lake from Mumbai
By Road: There are two or three options available to you from Mumbai to Lonar by bus or private car.
- One road goes to Lonar via Igatpuri, Sinnar, Vaijapur, Aurangabad, Jalna. The distance from Mumbai to Aurangabad is about 350 km, which can take 7 to 7.5 hours.
- The second route goes to Aurangabad via Kalyan, Malshej Ghat, Ahmednagar. Aurangabad is about 370 km long by this route.
- The third route is the Pune Expressway. This road takes you to Aurangabad via Ahmednagar. But the distance from Mumbai to Aurangabad is about 380 kilometers.
By Train: The nearest railway station to you from Mumbai to Lonar is Jalna. But to get to Jalna, you have to go from Aurangabad. For that, you have plenty of train options to go from Mumbai to Aurangabad. These include trains like Devagiri Express, Nandigram Express.
It takes about 7 hours by train from Mumbai to Aurangabad. The railway from Mumbai to Aurangabad reaches Aurangabad via Nashik Road, Manmad. The distance from Mumbai to Aurangabad is approximately 375 km. You can then travel by train or bus from Aurangabad to Jalna. And from there you can go to Lonar by bus or private car.
By Air: The fastest way to reach Lonar from Mumbai is by air to Aurangabad. The distance from Mumbai to Aurangabad by air is about 277 km. So it can take you about 1 hour to reach Aurangabad by plane. You have the option of Air India, Indigo, or other airlines to go by air. After reaching Aurangabad, you can easily reach Lonar by train or ST (state transport) bus.
How to reach Lonar Lake from Nagpur
By Road: From Nagpur to Lonar it takes about 7 to 7.5 hours to cover a distance of about 350 km via Amravati, Karanja, Mehkar. The other route, Wardha, Karanja, Mehkar route is almost the same distance. Since the Samruddhi Highway is also passing through this route, it will be possible to bridge this gap in less time.
By Train: Washim is the nearest railway station to reach Lonar from Nagpur. The distance from Nagpur to Washim is about 335 km and it can take approximately 5 to 5.5 hours by train to reach Washim. From Washim you can reach Lonar via Mehkar.
By Air: Aurangabad is the nearest airport by air from Nagpur to Lonar. But there is no direct flight from Nagpur to Aurangabad. For that, you have to go from Nagpur to Mumbai and from Mumbai to Aurangabad. Therefore, flying from Nagpur to Lonar can be costly.
How to approach Lonar lake water from MTDC (Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation) lonar?
It takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes to reach the lake water from MTDC Lodge near Lonar. There you will find a point made by the Geological Survey of India (GSI). This is where Lonar Lake begins. There is a way to get to the lake from the north to a ‘Lonar Sanctuary’.
The road to the lake is rough and steep. So to get to the lake, you have to take special care while descending. It is advisable to carry a stick in your hand at this time so that you can slowly descend on the base of that stick.
Tips to Tour Lonar Lake
If you are planning to visit Lonar Lake, there are some things you need to know. Because if you keep these tips in mind, your trip to Lonar Lake and the temples can definitely be enjoyable.
- Always carry one or two water bottles with you when visiting Lonar. If you have small children with you, you may need to provide extra drinking water yourself. Because there are very few drinking water options available.
- You can also take energy drinks, fast food or snacks with you if needed.
- If you want to visit all the temples here, it is best to get there as soon as possible!
- Avoid visiting Lonar Lake in the summer if possible. Even in winter, temperatures can reach around 32 degrees Celsius in the afternoon. So you can imagine the scorching summer temperatures here!
- It is always better to reach Lonar Lake before 11 in the morning! Because Lonar is in Buldhana district. And as you may know, Buldhana district is one of the hottest districts in India. Temperatures in summar can sometimes reach 40 to 42 degrees Celsius.
- Another important thing to keep in mind is that you will not find a washroom in the lake area. All your amenities can be found at the nearest hotel in the area.
We as a Lonar Lake Guide team are well aware that you can make use of Google Maps to find the answer to How to Reach Lonar Lake. But since we are local people from this area, we can tell you the best possible ways as well as tips to get to Lonar Lake. Our main intention is that whenever you visit this world-famous crater, you must enjoy your trip.
Follow us on Facebook: Lonar Lake Guide